Tuesday 20 April 2010

Polpo Soho - Review

On Sunday J and I went to Polpo in Soho for the first time. We were joined by a couple whose wedding we went to in January and who we hadn't seen properly since. They had agreed to be our willing companions to our first foray into this Italian bacaro. And I think they were pleased with what they found...
The Pizzette Bianca.

We went for about nine dishes between four, a couple of meaty dishes (fabulous lamb), some fish (Octopus salad and Fritto Misto), some vegetables and a little bit of bread. Plus a couple of little starters to warm up us. Each dish was well presented, appetising and colourful. It's my kind of food, simple, full of flavour and not fussy. Don't get my wrong I love haute cuisine every now and then but on a warm Sunday afternoon I want food which simply tastes good.

We also had puddings, and after that all of us felt just right. Full but not stuffed, the ideal balance.

But Polpo is more than just great food, it has a friendly atmosphere and a relaxed feel. From the phone call to book the table to the welcome and the waiting staff all were just right. Attentive but not overly so, friendly, willing to give advice but not without asking first.

So in a very simple conclusion I would thoroughly recommend Polpo. If you're with people who don't mind sharing and want great food, a lovely atmosphere and a good meal - Go!

8 comments:

little luxury list said...

Make me hungry! Everything sounds lovely. Until next time then...

Rose said...

mmm and just down the road from my office! it's very cool

Marie said...

@Chic 'n Cheap Living - Definitely next time, let me know if you want company :)

@Rose - Lucky you! Have you heard about their new one?

Make Do Style said...

Sounds great!

Make Do Style said...

PS - just got your email - interested very - have emailed you back.!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

I really have to go. Emily from London Zest told me about it a while ago, but I still haven't made it.

Emily said...

I couldnt agree with you more about Polpo, it reminds me in a way of New York Italian restaurants. The food is great and worth the wait if you go on a Thursday eve where the queues are massive! Yummy octopus and pizza yum yum! x LZ

Becky said...

Heard good things about this place, think I'll check it out!