Thursday 3 September 2009

On real women...

I recently read one of the best blog posts I've read in a while on Liberty London Girl's blog, all about women's bodies and the ideal of beauty. Go read it if you haven't already...

Anyhow, it got me thinking about the obsession we all have about our bodies and seeking perfection, never being able to believe someone finds us attractive. I still can't quite believe my husband thinks I am attractive and have a nice figure, especially on 'fat' days when I feel bloated and disgusting.

So when I saw the below picture, I rejoiced. Which is apparently what a lot of other women also did. This image was featured in the latest issue of American Glamour magazine, hidden away on one of the pages, surrounded by the traditional images of skinny, elfin, boyish figures, this picture cause a huge response. Women flooded Glamour with thanks for showing that someone with a tiny belly can be beautiful. The Daily Mail go into more detail about it in this article.

So I wanted to share it and commend Glamour for putting this in their magazine. She is truly beautiful, and it's refreshing to see this image being used in a magazine. As much as I love fashion magazines and looking at catwalk shows I know that so many of the clothes designed are never going to suit a figure with some curves. Maybe, just maybe, the fashion world will begin to listen to everyday people and start designing clothes for women, not girls with boyish figures who can pull off high fashion.

8 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

Hooray for magazines showing some "real" woman for a change!

meag said...

Oh this is wonderful! Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Hear Hear! With you 100% ! :-)

Liberty London Girl said...

Thanks sweetheart. *blushes* LLGxx

Rachel said...

That's a great post! Thanks for sharing!
It's so nice to see pics like this... I swear, I was just looking at fall clothes earlier and thinking that OF COURSE the layered chunky sweater and scarf and coat looked cute on the model - because she was a STICK! If I wore all of those I'd look like Stay-Puff or the Michelin Man.

Global city condo said...

Great post! Two thumbs up! For all the women out there just be natural. Nature is beauty.

it jobs said...

She’s very beautiful. I absolutely agree with this article.

QWER said...


QWER is your ticket to Australia if you live in Australia or plan to work in Australia shortly on a work visa.